Mold can grow almost anywhere in a home, and whether it’s seen or not, it can still cause a significant amount of damage to the home and the human body. Millions of people are exposed to mold every day, whether they notice it or not. If you notice any of these signs in your home, it is most likely that you have mold growing.
The easiest way to tell if your home has mold, is if it’s visible. This may seem like common sense, but many people tend to see mold in their home and assume it’s just dirt. If you notice a fuzzy or cottony substance growing in your home, it is most likely not dirt, but rather mold. Mold can grow in many different colors, like white, gray, green, or black. Mold is very easy to distinguish in certain parts of the home, but in others, it may take a little more investigating.
Water damage is the number one culprit of mold growth. Even small sink leaks can lead to the growth of mold. If there has been any long term water damage in a home, it is very likely that there mold growth. If you notice your paint peeling or cracking, or wood is warping in your home, it could be a sign of water damage and mold could be growing behind the walls.
Another way to find out if mold is growing in your home, is to use your nose. If you notice a persistent earthy/musty smell, it may be mold. There may not always be an immediate smell because mold can grow behind walls and wallpaper
It may take a little while for a homeowner to realize they have a mold problem, because it is not always visible. If you begin suffering from the following symptoms, it could be that you have mold growing in your home.
- Nasal & sinus congestion
- Persistent cough
- Breathing difficulties
- Sore throat
- Skin and eye irritation
- Upper respiratory infections