Mold thrives in moist or damp environments, meaning that it most likely occurs after a flood. A home that has been involved in a flood provides the ideal conditions for the growth of mold. Mold affects people in different ways; however, long-term exposure to mold can be dangerous for anyone. Mold can also affect the structural integrity of the home or building.
After a flood, you should always investigate your home for mold. The easiest way to detect mold with with your eyes and nose. If you see a black, green, or white fuzzy substance on any surface, or you smell an earthy or musty smell, it’s very likely it’s mold. You may also be able to tell if you have a mold problem by your allergies. If your allergy symptoms seem to get worse while you’re in your house, it is a very likely sign that you have mold growing in your home.
In order to carefully deal with mold after a flood, follow these steps:
- Identify and remove any sources of moisture, including all furniture, carpets, etc.
- Dry all of the materials that came in contact with water.
- Dispose of all mold-contaminated materials.
- Clean all non-porous and semi-porous items.
- Disinfect all surfaces.
- Avoid spreading mold contamination by placing all moldy items in plastic bags before removing them from the home, and hanging a plastic sheet to seal off the contaminated area.