In warm and humid climate conditions, indoor and outdoor mold growth can become a huge problem not only as it pertains to aesthetics, but also to your family’s well-being. Scientists all over the world confirm the close connection between mold contamination and adverse health effects.

 

Children may have different sensitivities to mold. Some might not experience any effects, while others can suffer from the symptoms of allergies and colds, such as sneezing, sore throat, cough, runny nose, irritated eyes or skin, headaches, and fatigue. The most common problems also include allergies and new or worsening asthma. These symptoms can appear in children with or without a predisposition to allergies and respiratory illnesses.

In some damp school buildings, where your children spend most of the day, mold can evolve due to increased humidity. Moisture appears due to the water leaks, caused by the faulty roof, pipes, windows, as well as other poorly-designed or damaged engineering systems. This type of fungi can grow on almost any surface, including wood, paper, carpets, and food. To evolve, mold needs oxygen, water and a source of minerals. Not surprisingly, it easily spreads in the damp air.

Usually, there are common spots around the school, where condensed excess moisture creates suitable conditions for fungi to cultivate. Often mold can be found on the ceilings, around the windows, next to sinks, on the bathroom walls, on the books and rugs.

 

Controlled humidity is a crucial factor to decrease and eliminate mold growth in schools. The key to preventing mold from evolving in our schools is to control and maintain the levels of indoor humidity. Regular inspections, as well as preventive work, are required to keep fungi from developing. As soon as increased moisture, leaking systems or mold growth are detected, the problem needs to be taken care of immediately. Additionally, all furniture from the affected rooms needs to be thoroughly cleaned and dried to prevent the restoration of fungi. To avert further mold invasions, the indoor humidity must be sustained between 30% and 50%.

 

If you plan to inspect your child’s school, watch out for mold growth and water damage. Consult your doctor about the suspected mold-induced symptoms. Don’t hesitate to reach out to other parents to see if similar illnesses are common among other children in our school. Contact school authorities, as it’s their responsibility to provide a healthy learning environment.

If you’re looking for experts’ help, contact us today for a free consultation!