Black Mold

Black mold is one of the most infamous toxic molds because it can grow in houses and is extremely dangerous to humans. Black mold is a name commonly used for Stachybotrys chartarum, which produces toxins called mycotoxins. This mold survives off of dead materials that are rich in cellulose, such as cereal grains, wood pulp, paper, or straw.  It can threaten the health of anyone who comes in contact with these mycotoxins. If black mold is ingested or inhaled, you could notice a few symptoms.

Symptoms

  • Respiratory distress & difficulty breathing
  • Unrestrained coughing & sneezing
  • Irritation to the mucous membranes
  • Kidney & Bladder discomfort
  • Impaired concentration levels
  • Excessive fatigue, headaches, and tiredness
  • Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
  • Immune system suppression
  • Redness & itching of eyes, mouth, and nose

What It Looks Like

Black mold is a greenish-black gelatinous mold and is usually slimy because of a wet layer on top. However, it can also appear dry and powdery if it’s mold colony’s water source runs out. It also has a very distinct, musty odor, and grows in little “dots”.

Where It Grows

This type of mold grows best in warm conditions. Outside, it can grow in soil and on plant debris; inside, it can grow on many common indoor building materials. When this type of mold grows in a home, it is usually in hard to see places. Black mold needs a lot of moisture for a long period of time (around 8-12 days) in order to grow, which is why it mostly stems from water leaks inside walls, above ceilings, and under floors.

Never try to remove black mold on your own. Disturbing this mold can cause it to release large amounts of spores throughout the affected area, making the condition worse. If you are experiencing black mold in your home, contact AirPro Environmental Solutions LLC at 877-924-7776 to have it removed right away.